I bought an Apple Time Capsule after my HP 495EX failed to backup my Macs reliably. I was excited since it replaced an old Linksys that didn’t have wireless-n.
I figured it would be a fast switch. I was wrong. I spend several hours configuring the router and couldn’t figure out why it wouldn’t connect.
Turns out the router is not to blame. There’s a lot of discussion about how to get it to work:
If you call Comcast they will tell you to call Apple. I couldn’t find an Apple number but I’m betting they will tell you to call Comcast.
The summary of all the discussion is basically:
- Turn off your Comcast Cable Modem and let it sit for a minute or two.
- If it has a battery, pull out the battery.
- Make sure your Time Capsule is unplugged.
- Plug in the cable modem. Let it startup for a few minutes
- Plug in the Time Capsule. Wait a few and it should come up with a green light.
That’s it. It did take a couple of tries for everything to reset and get working, but it’s better than spending hours reconfiguring the Time Capsule trying to figure out why the cable modem won’t talk to it.